Friday, May 14, 2010

Utah's Tea Party

A great article about Bennett's loss.

I just want all those who oppose the bailout to ask themselves what the alternative should have been and to seriously consider the consequence of not acting. Without a doubt it would have led to Depression 2.0.

Surprising how polarized Utah has become - or maybe I've just been moving to the left!

6 comments:

East Millcreek Wilsons said...

Hurray for your return! I'm totally with you on this. But I'm sort of disgusted with a lot of Utah political opinion of late (sorry family). When we attended the U of M commencement with President Obama speaking, he encouraged the graduates to get to know people of all faiths and races and read many sides of all stories to come to conclusions. I feel like that has been our opportunity here in our student environment. I know that no government can always make all the right choices, but there were a lot of good, hardworking people in Michigan who needed help with the economic crisis and they are all grateful for the government help.
Love to hear your thoughts. You are going to do good things for your future employer, Rick.

Duane said...

Thanks for the comment. What a great opportunity to see the President! We're very jealous.

It just surprises me that so many people in general (regardless of which party they follow - but I'm thinking of the Tea Party) don't ever take the time to understand the issues for themselves. They simply succumb to populist rhetoric (a.k.a. Glenn Beck).

Dealing with the econ crisis was intensely complex and decisions had to be made very quickly to fend off disaster. Both Republicans and Democrats who had any idea of the magnitude of crisis we were dealing with understood this - Senator Bennett did and I think he did the right thing. Now look what he got in return!

Of course we don't live in a perfect economy today, but growth is beginning to be restored, unemployment is beginning to fall, and the Administration has made it very clear that want to be first in line to get the budget back on track. And they will as soon as it is safe to do so.

Like the far right, I'm all for laissez faire and wish that we could just allow the economy to be guided solely on that basis. But I also recognize that unfettered markets are riddled with failures and require some degree of taming the "animal spirits."

Ryan said...

Rick, nice post. I hope I'm not intruding! I saw this article too and am really disgusted that like the politically termed "bailout", Bennett was also tossed for co-sponsoring a bill with a democrat. Reaching across the aisle is now a sign of weakness? I feel you that Utah, and nationwide really, things are very polarized.

Yvonne said...

Unfortunately, people who are moderate and rational when it comes to politics also lack the fire and motivation to get involved and influence outcomes. We and others like us will always be shaking our heads on the sidelines while the rabid tea partyites and their ilk will rant and ravage and ruin some outcomes, just as they did at our recent state convention. I always think of the line from Robert Frost's poem "O Star" that goes "But when at times the mob is swayed/to carry praise or blame to far/ let us choose/something like a star/ to stay our minds on/and be staid." Well, it sounds better when you read the whole poem. BTW, I love the name of your blog . . . . . .

Duane said...

Great to hear everyone's thoughts. All are welcome of course!

Thanks for tying in some beautiful poetry, Mum!

Duane said...

Looks like Bob was just the beginning. Only in this rabid political environment can someone get away with a name like "Rand" ...

... Ok, and because he's Ron Paul's son.