Saturday, January 3, 2009

NC

Everyone please post your Spring availability for our North Carolina & Outer Banks (OBX) trip. The best times for me are between May 12th and June 15th. I think about 4 - 6 nights will give us enough time to see all the sites on our wishlist.

Aside from OBX and possibly the Biltmore mansion in Asheville, what were the other sites you were interested in? Dad, I think I remember you saying that there was a museum that mentioned our Harrell ancestors. Where was that?

6 comments:

East Millcreek Wilsons said...

I think we are open for any of those dates, Rick. We are really looking forward to it and plan on driving through your area and staying a day or two depending on your schedules? Can we skype with you tomorrow?

Charley said...

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Rick. I teach spring term with the last day of class being the 15th, but I could probably get away anytime after June 10th without a problem.

Josephus Willis, nicknamed Captain Seef, and his "Red Oar" crew of Shackleford Banks, NC were responsible for killing NC's most famous whale, “The Mayflower” in 1874. The whale’s skeleton hangs in the NC Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh, NC and Josephus’ whale gun has been passed down through generations of the Willis family and currently rests at the family’s house in Morehead City, NC.

Josephus Willis begat Josephus Jr. who begat Adrian who begat Naomi Willis who was the wife of Raymond Harrell who begat Wesley Harrell. That makes Josephus your great, great, great, great grandfather.

Duane said...

Thanks guys. Danielle's school actually goes until around June 15th, and she might have troubles getting off before then. So it might work out better for us in mid-June.

East Millcreek Wilsons said...

Kevin must be in Michigan on June 19th so we could try to squeeze it in that week before or just wait until the week after.

Duane said...

Ok, how about the weekend between June 12 - 15. Would that work?

Tim - I'm sure you saw it already, but I came across a home exchange in Kill Devil Hills, NC that could fit 11. We could also stay out of Virginia Beach as it's about a 2 hr drive outside of OBX.

So far, my suggested list includes visiting the following:

1. Kitty Hawk - beach and historical site
2. Nags Head - beach and hang gliding.
3. Ocracoke Island - ferry, lighthouses, historic sites
4. Raleigh - whale skeleton.

Any other suggestions? I think we could do all that within 3 days...

Flavius Haus said...

Duane (& fam),
I sent an email earlier regarding this, but I got an exchange offer back for a home in Surf City right on the beach. It normally rents for $2800/week. The link is here:
http://www.homeexchange.com/show.php?id=70396
It's 2 hours from Raleigh (SE)and right on the coast. I've also emailed on the house in Kill Devil but havent gotten a response in a week.
Will keep you all posted!
Go Tarheels!